måndag 2 juni 2008

Countdown

I saw my mother yesterday.
We walked into town along with a new and wonderful friend, and we talked. As i glanced down on her I saw her face, and her smile, and I heard her laughter. I saw then so much in her that I see in myself, and right then and there I realized that the path I thought I had chosen was never really a choice.
It was a result of heritage and environment, to quote my friend Önder.
The heritage of my parents is pride, strength and stubbornness.
But also a result of everything they've gone through, and survived for myself and my brothers.
Every new trip is a challenge, every new trip takes me into an emotional hurricane that I cannot control. But it's also physical, in an environment that is to its nature oppressive and suffocates life.
This is the essence of occupation.
Suffocation of life, while making a life without obstacles an impossibility.
Against all this stands life as it is lived in Palestine.
Families gather and chit-chat, friends hold eachothers hands when walking down the streets of Ramallah or Nablus. My favourite boys run far away from the refugee camp one afternoon to pick mushrooms for us, and love happens is nourished and consumated despite everything.
This summer will be the best summer yet.
Despite the occupation and zionism I intend to show you Palestine.
As she is seen by me, and as she should be, if the oppression and degradation was not there.
This year will also be an experiment in my writing. Will let you know more soon.

Inga kommentarer: